Grilled chicken is a crowd-pleaser at any barbecue. It also makes a great addition to salads, sandwiches and other dishes during the week. Make extra to have on hand for leftovers. This recipe uses a homemade marinade, but feel free to substitute your favorite bottled salad dressing or marinade.
2022 Chef Mary Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and running water.
2. Place chicken in a non-reactive container (a glass pie pan is great) or plastic food-storage bag. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
3. Cover chicken with marinade, wrap container with plastic wrap or seal bag. If using a food-storage bag, place on a plate to catch any drips if bag leaks.
4. Let chicken marinate for 4 to 24 hours.
5. Heat grill to medium-high heat. Using tongs, transfer chicken to grill and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until it's about halfway cooked.
6. Flip chicken over and cook another 3 to 5 minutes, until reaching 165 degrees Fahrenheit (for at least 30 seconds) as indicated with an instant-read food thermometer.
7. Using clean tongs, transfer chicken to a clean serving plate.
Note: Never resuse marinade that has been used on raw meat. If you want to baste cooked chicken with marinade, keep a small amount set aside at the start before pouring entire marinade on chicken, for this last step.
*To view marinade recipe go to: https://www.bigy.com/rs/recipes/oregano-lemon-marinade-chef-mary/15195
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!