Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- New Appointments at Big Y in May The management of Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced new appointments.
- New Appointments at Big Y The management of Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced new appointments.
- 36,800 Retired American Flags and Counting For the seventh year in a row, in honor of Flag Day, Big Y is collecting worn, torn, faded, or badly soiled American Flags for proper retirement.
- Christian P. D’Amour heads Table & Vine Division Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced the appointment of Christian P. D’Amour as senior manager of their Table & Vine division.
- Big Y Opens New Fuel Station on Cooley Street in Springfield Big Y Foods, Inc. is celebrating its newest Big Y Express Gas and Convenience Store located at 471 Cooley Street in Springfield, MA.
- Spencer Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Spencer, MA World Class Market at 62 West Main Street.
- Local Farmer Awards Give $135,000 to 59 Farmers in Western Massachusetts This month, the Local Farmer Awards, funded by a group of philanthropic leaders and businesses, gave $135,000 in awards to 59 farmers operating in Western Massachusetts to fund infrastructure improvements on their farms.
- Helping Pets at Big Y Big Y World Class Markets announce the beginning of the company’s fourth annual “May is Pet Month” donation drive.
- Milford and Easton Big Y’s Are Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Milford, MA store at 7 Medway Road as well as at their Easton, MA store at 25 Robert Drive. Renovation efforts totaled over $5.4 million.
- Big Y Appoints Marketing VP The Board of Directors of Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the appointment of John W. Schnepp III as vice president of marketing.
- Big Y Express Expands Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce its newest Big Y Express Gas and Convenience Store located at 471 Cooley Street in Springfield, MA opening by mid May of this year.
- Food Donations Help Local Food Banks In a chain-wide effort to help the less fortunate within their local communities, Big Y has highlighted their recent holiday Sack Hunger program along with year round efforts to donate food to all of their food banks for a total of over 5 million meals donated this past year.
- Big Y’s Growth Expands Distribution Center It was in 1995 that Big Y expanded its 3 smaller distribution facilities into the former Rexnord Roller Chain Manufacturing Company on Roosevelt Ave. in Springfield, MA.
- Big Y Appoints Sr. Director of Operations The Board of Directors of Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced the appointment of Nicole D’Amour Schneider as Sr. Director Operations, starting January 1st.
- 2018 Local Farmer Awards Application Deadline is January 31st Big Y and the Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation (HGCF) remind farmers in Western Massachusetts that the application deadline for a Local Farmer Award is January 31, 2018.
- Big Y Gives Over $209,000 to Local Breast Cancer In order to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets donated proceeds from their October initiative “Partners of Hope” to 31 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut.