Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- Big Y Turns Pink In order to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets will be donating proceeds from various departments throughout the store to 31 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Plainville Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Plainville, CT Big Y World Class Market at 275 New Britain Avenue. .
- Big Y Hiring for 200 Jobs Big Y Foods, Inc. will open a hiring site to fill over 200 full and part-time positions available at 2 new World Class Markets in Derby and Milford, CT.
- Big Y to Collect Donations to Help Red Cross Disaster Relief Big Y World Class Markets are partnering with the American Red Cross to raise donations for those affected by Hurricane Dorian domestically and abroad.
- Big Y, Red Cross Partner for Disaster Relief Big Y World Class Markets are partnering with the American Red Cross to raise donations for those affected by Hurricane Dorian domestically and abroad.
- Socks For The Homeless In order to help to provide clean new socks for the homeless, Big Y will be collecting socks in all of their pharmacy locations from September 12 –October 2.
- 22,000 Pounds of Pet Food and Supplies Donated Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce that the company’s fifth annual “May is Pet Month” initiative has resulted in donations of close to 22,000 pounds of pet food and supplies to 45 different local animal shelters.
- New Milford Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their New Milford, CT World Class Market at 1 Kent Road.
- Guilford Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Guilford, CT World Class Market at 830 Boston Post Road.
- Ansonia Big Y to Relocate to Derby Big Y World Class Market is coming soon to Derby, CT. Big Y has officially announced that they will be moving their store at 403 Main St. in Ansonia to this location about 3 miles away.
- Big Y Eliminates Plastic Bags at Checkouts Across All Locations on August 1, 2019 Big Y Foods, Inc. announced today that it will eliminate single-use plastic bags at the checkouts from its more than 80 supermarket and specialty store locations in Massachusetts and Connecticut on August 1, 2019.
- Big Y Announces 10th Fuel Station Big Y Foods, Inc. announced its newest Big Y Express Gas Station and Convenience Store located at 234 Tolland Turnpike in front of their Big Y World Class Market in Manchester, CT Opening Fall 2019.
- 10th Big Y Produce Manager Wins National Award United Fresh Produce Association has named Big Y World Class Market Produce & Floral Sales Manager, Ed Jette, as a 2019 Produce Manager of the Year in its Retail Produce Manager Awards Program.
- Close To 11,000 More Worn American Flags Respectfully Retired For the 8th year in a row, in honor of Flag Day, Big Y collected worn, torn, faded, or badly soiled American Flags for proper and respected retirement from May 23 through June 12, 2019.