Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- Big Y Express Says Goodbye to Plastic Bags As part of Big Y Foods, Inc.’s recent announcement to phase out of single use plastic bags at their checkouts, their Big Y Express Gas and Convenience locations will be the first division in the 80 store company to eliminate these bags as of 4/22/19.
- Big Y Planning to Sell Adams Location to New Operator After 35 years of serving customers at their supermarket at 1 Myrtle St. in Adams, Big Y officials have made the difficult decision to transition ownership of this location to another supermarket operator who is better suited to meet the needs of this community.
- Food Donations Help Local Food Banks Every Day In a chain-wide effort to help the less fortunate within their local communities, Big Y has donated over $10.5 million of food or a total of 5.3 million meals to help those in need in their communities.
- Big Y Gives Over $216,000 to Local Breast Cancer Groups In order to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets donated proceeds from their October initiative “Partners of Hope” to 32 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Marlborough, CT Big Y Opens On Thursday, January 24th, Big Y will be celebrating the opening of their newest World Class Market at 7 East Hampton Road Route 66, in Marlborough CT.
- Big Y Phasing Out of Single Use Plastic Bags in 2020 Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced its plan to eliminate single use plastic bags at the checkouts from its 70 supermarkets and specialty stores along with its Big Y Express Gas and Convenience locations in 2020.
- Big Y Opens New Fuel Station in Chicopee Big Y Foods, Inc. is celebrating its newest Big Y Express Gas Station and Convenience Store located on 1177 Granby Rd. in Chicopee, MA.
- Got Local? In an effort to find even more local products to sell in their newest World Class Market, buyers at Big Y are planning to interview any local vendors that might be interested in selling their particular items at the market which opens in January.
- Over 7,000 Turkeys Donated to 5 Food Banks The 5 food banks within Big Y World Class Markets' marketing area will be getting an early gift for the upcoming holidays as the company donates over 100,000 pounds of turkeys to those in need.
- Sack Hunger in Your Town For the 9th year, all Big Y Supermarkets are working to help feed the hungry within their local communities through Care To Share Sack Hunger – a large reusable grocery bag filled with staple non-perishable food items for local food banks.
- From Local Field to Plate - November 9, 2018 Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to offer this week's harvest from native farms throughout their 70 markets.
- Big Y Hiring For New Location in Marlborough Big Y Foods, Inc. will open a hiring site to fill over 100 part-time and full-time positions available at its newest World Class Market in Marlborough, CT.
- Longmeadow Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Longmeadow, MA World Class Market at 802 Williams Street.
- Over 6,000 Pairs of Socks Donated for Sock-tember Big Y Foods is pleased to share that a grand total of 6,759 pairs of new, in-package socks will be donated to the homeless in the local community thanks to their first ever “Sock- tember” program, which ran from September 13th through October 3rd.
- Big Y Donates $35,000 to American Red Cross Disaster Relief Big Y World Class Markets collected donations from customers and employees from September 19th- September 29th for American Red Cross Disaster Relief.
- Big Y Produce Manager Wins National Award United Fresh Produce Association has named Big Y World Class Market Produce & Floral Sales Manager, Wade Michels as a 2018 Produce Manager of the Year in its Retail Produce Manager Awards Program.
- Big Y Turns Pink In order to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets will be donating proceeds from various departments throughout the store to 32 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut. Since 2007, the chain has raised close to $2 million dollars for this cause.