Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- Groton Utilities Rebate On Thursday June 6th, Groton Utilities presented the Big Y World Class Market of Groton, CT with a rebate check in the amount of $98,505 as part of their energy conservation program.
- Must Be 21 to Buy Tobacco Products at Any Big Y Location As of June 17, 2019 customers under the age of 21 will no longer be able to buy tobacco products at any Big Y World Class Market or supermarket, Fresh Acres Market, Table & Vine or Big Y Express Fuel & Convenience locations.
- 46,000 Retired American Flags and Counting For the seventh year in a row, in honor of Flag Day, Big Y is collecting worn, torn, faded, or badly soiled American Flags for proper retirement. Big Y is working with local Boy Scouts, American Legions, VFW’s, and military organizations to properly retire the collected flags.
- Big Y’s Real Estate and Development group welcomes Colin M. D’Amour Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced the appointment of Colin M. D’Amour as a senior manager of procurement within Big Y’s Real Estate and Development team. In this role, he is responsible for managing all aspects of purchasing and equipment buying for the company’s 80 plus locations.
- Groton Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Groton, CT Big Y World Class Market at 995 Poquonnock Road.
- Local Farmer Awards Marks 5 Years And Over Half A Million Dollars Granted Celebrating its 5th year, the Local Farmer Awards are funded by a group of philanthropic leaders and businesses, the Local Farm Awards recently gave $142,500 in amounts up to $2500 to 62 farmers in Western Massachusetts and Eastern New York for materials and equipment to make infrastructure improvements.
- Helping Pets at Big Y Big Y World Class Markets announces their 5th annual “May is Pet Month” donation drive.
- Cas Tryba, Food Safety Icon to Retire Big Y Seeking Replacement After 26 years at Big Y, Cas Tryba, director of food safety and quality assurance has announced his retirement as of July 26, 2019. Tryba is credited with creating the food safety department at Big Y.
- Wishes Can Come True Over the past year, over 2,200 local schools and almost 100,000 customers have participated in Big Y’s Education Express program where schools K-12 earned free educational supplies and equipment
- Big Y Express Says Goodbye to Plastic Bags As part of Big Y Foods, Inc.’s recent announcement to phase out of single use plastic bags at their checkouts, their Big Y Express Gas and Convenience locations will be the first division in the 80 store company to eliminate these bags as of 4/22/19.