Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- Big Y donates over $215,000 to Local Breast Cancer Groups - In order to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets donated proceeds from their October initiative “Partners of Hope” to 29 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Over 6,000 Pairs of Socks Donated to Homeless - 6,513 pairs of new socks will be donated to the homeless in local communities thanks to Big Y’s third annual “Sock-tember” sock collection which ran from September 12th through October 2nd , where customers were encouraged to donate new socks for the homeless, and where Big Y donated a pair of socks for every flu shot given at one of their pharmacies.
- Big Y Opens 2 New Stores - On Thursday, November 7th, Big Y will be celebrating the opening of their two newest World Class Markets at 656 New Haven Avenue in Derby, CT and 150 Boston Post Road in Milford, CT.
- Big Y Celebrates in Manchester, CT - Big Y Foods, Inc. is celebrating the opening of its newest Big Y Express Gas Station and Convenience Store in front of their newly remodeled Big Y World Class Market located at 234 Tolland Turnpike in Manchester, CT.
- Sack Hunger in Your Town - For the 10th year, all Big Y Supermarkets are working to help feed the hungry within their local communities through Care To Share Sack Hunger – a large reusable grocery bag filled with staple non-perishable food items for local food banks.
- Big Y Announces $250,000 IN LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS - Big Y World Class Markets 2020 scholarship season will begin November 1st, 2019 and end February 1st, 2020. In 2019, over 350 academically- outstanding students from communities surrounding their stores received a total of over $250,000 in college scholarships.