Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- Milford and Easton Big Y’s Are Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Milford, MA store at 7 Medway Road as well as at their Easton, MA store at 25 Robert Drive. Renovation efforts totaled over $5.4 million.
- Big Y Appoints Marketing VP The Board of Directors of Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the appointment of John W. Schnepp III as vice president of marketing.
- Big Y Express Expands Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce its newest Big Y Express Gas and Convenience Store located at 471 Cooley Street in Springfield, MA opening by mid May of this year.
- Food Donations Help Local Food Banks In a chain-wide effort to help the less fortunate within their local communities, Big Y has highlighted their recent holiday Sack Hunger program along with year round efforts to donate food to all of their food banks for a total of over 5 million meals donated this past year.
- Big Y’s Growth Expands Distribution Center It was in 1995 that Big Y expanded its 3 smaller distribution facilities into the former Rexnord Roller Chain Manufacturing Company on Roosevelt Ave. in Springfield, MA.
- Big Y Appoints Sr. Director of Operations The Board of Directors of Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced the appointment of Nicole D’Amour Schneider as Sr. Director Operations, starting January 1st.
- 2018 Local Farmer Awards Application Deadline is January 31st Big Y and the Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation (HGCF) remind farmers in Western Massachusetts that the application deadline for a Local Farmer Award is January 31, 2018.
- Big Y Gives Over $209,000 to Local Breast Cancer In order to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer, all Big Y Supermarkets donated proceeds from their October initiative “Partners of Hope” to 31 local breast cancer support groups throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Papa Gino’s Pizza Now Available in the Frozen Food Aisle Papa Gino's, an iconic New England brand and the Official Pizza of The New England Patriots and The New England Revolution announced the launch of Papa Gino’s Traditional Thin Crust Frozen Pizza in grocery stores throughout New England starting with Big Y.
- 2017 Food Recovery Challenge Regional Award Winners Big Y is excited to be amoung the New England Regional Winners of the 2017 Food Recovery Challenge
- Big Y Supports Local Community Schools Through Education Express Big Y is excited to announce the return of the Big Y® Education Express® Program! Since 1993, they have awarded more than $14 million worth of much needed supplies to their local area schools
- 2018 Local Farmer Awards Application Opening January 1st The Harold Grinspoon Charitable Foundation (HGCF), in partnership with Big Y and a sponsorship team, is pleased to announce the fourth year of the Local Farmer Awards, supporting local farmers in Western Massachusetts with funds for infrastructure improvements and farm equipment.