Big Y in the News
Headquartered in Springfield, MA, Big Y is one of the largest independently owned supermarket chains in New England. Proud to be family owned and operated, we operate almost 80 stores throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts with over 11,000 employees. Big Y has been named a 2015 Employer of Choice by the Employers Association of the Northeast. Founded in 1936 by brothers Paul and Gerald D'Amour, the store was named after an intersection in Chicopee, Massachusetts where two roads converge to form a "Y".
Big Y in the News contains excerpts from press releases that have been sent to local media.
Our Most Recent Releases:
- 22,000 Pounds of Pet Food and Supplies Donated Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce that the company’s fifth annual “May is Pet Month” initiative has resulted in donations of close to 22,000 pounds of pet food and supplies to 45 different local animal shelters.
- New Milford Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their New Milford, CT World Class Market at 1 Kent Road.
- Guilford Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Guilford, CT World Class Market at 830 Boston Post Road.
- Ansonia Big Y to Relocate to Derby Big Y World Class Market is coming soon to Derby, CT. Big Y has officially announced that they will be moving their store at 403 Main St. in Ansonia to this location about 3 miles away.
- Big Y Eliminates Plastic Bags at Checkouts Across All Locations on August 1, 2019 Big Y Foods, Inc. announced today that it will eliminate single-use plastic bags at the checkouts from its more than 80 supermarket and specialty store locations in Massachusetts and Connecticut on August 1, 2019.
- Big Y Announces 10th Fuel Station Big Y Foods, Inc. announced its newest Big Y Express Gas Station and Convenience Store located at 234 Tolland Turnpike in front of their Big Y World Class Market in Manchester, CT Opening Fall 2019.
- 10th Big Y Produce Manager Wins National Award United Fresh Produce Association has named Big Y World Class Market Produce & Floral Sales Manager, Ed Jette, as a 2019 Produce Manager of the Year in its Retail Produce Manager Awards Program.
- Close To 11,000 More Worn American Flags Respectfully Retired For the 8th year in a row, in honor of Flag Day, Big Y collected worn, torn, faded, or badly soiled American Flags for proper and respected retirement from May 23 through June 12, 2019.
- Help for Local Veterans In the Month of May, the Yuengling Brewery and Table & Vine in West Springfield joined forces to help raise money for Veterans and their families through their “Lagers for Heroes” program in which 100% of the donations raised goes directly to help local Massachusetts Veterans via a strong partnership with the MA VFW Foundation.
- Fresh Acres Market and Instacart Offer Same-Day Delivery Instacart, a North American leader in online groceries, and Fresh Acres Market, today announced their partnership, adding same-day grocery delivery services to their Springfield, Massachusetts store. Customers in the greater Springfield area will now have access to all Fresh Acres Market’s fresh local produce, artisan bakery items, stone pie pizza, and more, paired with the convenience of same-day delivery.
- Table & Vine Pledges Freedom From Plastic Bags by July 1st As part of Big Y Foods, Inc.’s recent announcement to phase out of single use plastic bags at their checkouts, their Table & Vine location will be the second division in the 80 store company to eliminate these bags as of July 1, 2019 at their 1119 Riverdale St. West Springfield store. Recently as of Earth Day, all of Big Y’s Gas and Convenience locations have also eliminated these single use plastic bags at checkout.
- Groton Utilities Rebate On Thursday June 6th, Groton Utilities presented the Big Y World Class Market of Groton, CT with a rebate check in the amount of $98,505 as part of their energy conservation program.
- Must Be 21 to Buy Tobacco Products at Any Big Y Location As of June 17, 2019 customers under the age of 21 will no longer be able to buy tobacco products at any Big Y World Class Market or supermarket, Fresh Acres Market, Table & Vine or Big Y Express Fuel & Convenience locations.
- 46,000 Retired American Flags and Counting For the seventh year in a row, in honor of Flag Day, Big Y is collecting worn, torn, faded, or badly soiled American Flags for proper retirement. Big Y is working with local Boy Scouts, American Legions, VFW’s, and military organizations to properly retire the collected flags.
- Big Y’s Real Estate and Development group welcomes Colin M. D’Amour Big Y Foods, Inc. has announced the appointment of Colin M. D’Amour as a senior manager of procurement within Big Y’s Real Estate and Development team. In this role, he is responsible for managing all aspects of purchasing and equipment buying for the company’s 80 plus locations.
- Groton Big Y Is Reborn Big Y Foods, Inc. is pleased to announce the completion of the renovations at their Groton, CT Big Y World Class Market at 995 Poquonnock Road.
- Local Farmer Awards Marks 5 Years And Over Half A Million Dollars Granted Celebrating its 5th year, the Local Farmer Awards are funded by a group of philanthropic leaders and businesses, the Local Farm Awards recently gave $142,500 in amounts up to $2500 to 62 farmers in Western Massachusetts and Eastern New York for materials and equipment to make infrastructure improvements.