Big Y is committed to designing, creating, and maintaining an accessible digital experience for all our shoppers. We want all our customers to be able to use our website bigy.com as well as our mobile app and other digital offerings when they are using assistive technologies like voice recognition software, screen readers or magnifiers.
Here are some of things we have done to make sure that it is as easy as possible for all customers to use our site and app:
- We start with design by being cognizant of colors, font sizes, images, and overall usability.
- We implement the design and layer in the appropriate HTML structure that is friendly to assistive technologies as defined by the WCAG 2.0 standards.
- We test and control the output development using readily available testing tools.
- We utilize an active compliance monitoring tool which alerts us to content added to our platform via CMS tools that is not in compliance, such that we can remediate quickly.
We have worked closely with our legal and technology teams to understand what it means to be in compliance. From there, we crafted a strategy to bring into compliance existing software, and inject compliance assessment and testing practices into our ongoing development.
Part of that strategy includes:
- Utilizing the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (the de facto standards for web and mobile compliance) as our guide.
- Regularly auditing our web and mobile platform and making adjustments as needed.
- Work with accessibility specialists to make sure that we continually strive to provide accessibility to all.
- Applying Continuous Improvement methodology to ensure we are up to date and aware of new legal guidance, upgraded available testing and validation tools, and training on new design techniques and strategies that are friendly to assistive technologies.
We want to hear from you if you have feedback or if you experience any issues and need assistance. We are here to help.
Contact us online or Call Customer Support at 1-800-828-2688