At Big Y, beyond providing great quality, pricing and customer service, we also try to be smart about the resources we use, how much energy we consume and how we handle whatever waste we create. While we've always been mindful, over the past three years we have made a company-wide effort to be earth-friendly, and have reduced our total energy consumption by more than 17,800,000 kWh!
Going Green with Your Cuisine
Author: be well™ with Big Y® Registered Dietitian Team
Making Improvements Toward a Greener Tomorrow
Energy Measures in our stores have saved more than 73 million kWh. This is the equivalent to annual C02 emissions from:
- 5,821,298 gallons of gasoline consumed
- 10,066 homes' electricity use for one year
- 119,775 barrels of oil consumed
- More than 17,000 tons of cardboard, paper and plastics recycled annually
- Over 1 million bottles and cans annually
Connecticut Bottle Bill
As of January 1, 2023, a new state law has made most beverage cans and bottles eligible for a five cent deposit refund. Connecticut's deposit law has proven to reduce litter and raise recycling rates, and now it will expand to from beer, soda, and water to most beverages in cans as well as plastic and glass bottles.
We have four Megawatts of ground mount and rooftop arrays installed at several locations, and participate in more than 10 community solar array projects. This solar production is equivalent to annual C02 emissions from:
- 5,142,780 gallons of gasoline consumed
- 8,893 homes' electricity use for one year
- 105, 814 barrels of oil consumed
We have mindfully executed the following in each store we have remodeled:
- High Efficiency Rooftop and Refrigeration Systems
- LED Lighting Interior and Exterior
- Light Dimming Systems
- Energy Star Rated Equipment
- Building Energy Management System
- Night Curtains or Glass Door Retrofits on Open Refrigerated Cases
- High Efficiency Motors
- Capture and Utilization of Waste Heat
- Cycling Anti-Sweat Heaters
- Waterless Urinals
- Low Flow Water Controls on Our Sinks
- Energy Efficient Hand Dryers
EV Charging Stations
We provide electric vehicle charging stations at many of our Supermarket and Big Y Express locations and we are continuously striving to add this amenity to more locations.
We work with these Local Partners to bring you the freshest foods,
and also because they sustain our communities and are committed to environmentally responsible business practices.
Growing local produce year-round in hydroponic greenhouses, saving 230 million gallons of water annually.
UMass Student Farm
The UMass Stockbridge School of Agriculture student-run farm trains students seeking careers in food production, food sourcing and food security advocacy work.
Autumn Mist Farm
Feeding Hills, MA
This small, 100-acre family beef farm raises fresh, local Angus beef that is natural with no added growth hormones or artificial ingredients. Their cattle is raised with pasture access, meaning they are never confined to a feedlot.
Because we care, Big Y is proud to take an active role in supporting the communities we serve.
Composting and Animal Feed
All of our facilities divert more than 6,000 tons of food scraps per year to composting and animal feed.
More than 3,100 tons of food is donated per year. That's more than 5,000,000 meals to those in need.
3 Source: https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/carbon-pollution-transportation