Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes, Dry 8 to 12 Hours
August/September 2018 Dig In the Big Y Magazine
Also from this magazine: Bloody Mary Rim Salt Drink Garnish
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Cut ends off the orange. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut down 1 side of the orange all the way through, stopping at the peel. Do NOT cut through the peel.
2. Carefully open the orange, making more cuts through the fruit so that it will lay somewhat flat; carefully remove the fruit from the peel; discard fruit. Remove all the white membrane from the inside of the peel and trim the edges.
3. Using a pizza cutter, cut peel into 1/4-inch wide strips; set aside.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add peels and gently simmer for 10 minutes; carefully remove from pan with a slotted spoon and lay flat on a cooling rack; sprinkle a little sugar over top.
5. Once peels are cooled slightly, gently wrap each peel around a piece of a straw; let dry for 8-12 hours or overnight. When dry, slide them off the straws and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. The candied citrus peel will keep for at least a month.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!