At Big Y, beyond providing great quality, pricing and customer service, we also try to be smart about the resources we use, how much energy we consume and how we handle whatever waste we create. While we've always been mindful, over the past few years we have made a company-wide effort to be earth-friendly. Over the past three years, we've reduced our total consumption by more than 5,000,000 kWh!
Making Improvements Toward a Greener Tomorrow
Energy Measures in our stores have saved more than 53 million kWh.
This is the equivalent to annual C02 emissions from:
- 4,227,792 gallons of gasoline consumed
- 6,825 homes' electrical use
- 86,988 barrels of oil consumed
- More than 17,000 tons of cardboard, paper and plastics recycled annually
- Over 1 billion bottles and cans annually
Energy Efficient Hand Dryers
By eliminating 1 ton of paper towels:
- 17 fully grown trees are saved
- 3 cubic yards of landfill space is reduced
- 20,000 gallons of water remain unpolluted
We have four Megawatts of ground mount and rooftop arrays installed at several locations, and participate in more than 10 community solar array projects.
This solar production is equivalent to annual C02 emissions from:
- 3,508,724 gallons of gasoline consumed
- 5,664 homes' electrical use
- 72,196 barrels of oil consumed
We have mindfully executed the following in each store we have remodeled:
- High Efficiency Rooftop and Refrigeration Systems
- LED Lighting Interior and Exterior
- Light Dimming Systems
- Energy Star Rated Equipment
- Building Energy Management System
- Night Curtains or Glass Door Retrofits on Open Refrigerated Cases
- High Efficiency Motors
- Capture and Utilization of Waste Heat
- Cycling Anti-Sweat Heaters
- Waterless Urinals
- Low Flow Water Controls on Our Sinks
EV Charging Stations
We provide ChargePoint EV Stations for our customers to charge their electric cars while they shop.
Our Northampton, Westfield, Lee, Franklin, Cheshire, Old Saybrook, Greenfield, Walpole, Westfield Shops, Shelton, Store Support Center, Marlborough locations offer free charging stations for our customers who drive electric vehicles.
We work with these Local Partners to bring you the freshest foods,
and also because they sustain our communities and are committed to environmentally responsible business practices.
Growing local produce year-round in hydroponic greenhouses, saving 230 million gallons of water annually.
UMass Student Farm
The UMass Stockbridge School of Agriculture student-run farm trains students seeking careers in food production, food sourcing and food security advocacy work.
Autumn Mist Farm
Feeding Hills, MA
This small, 100-acre family beef farm raises fresh, local Angus beef that is natural with no added growth hormones or artificial ingredients. Their cattle is raised with pasture access, meaning they are never confined to a feedlot.
North Coast Seafoods
Sustainable Seafood is caught, farmed or harvested using environmentally harmonious and socially responsible methods that do not jeopardize oceans or the stability of the species.
Because we care, Big Y is proud to take an active role in supporting the communities we serve.
Composting Animal Feed
All of our facilities divert more than 6,000 tons of food scraps per year to composting and animal feed.
More than 3,100 tons of food is donated per year. That's more than 5,000,000 meals to those in need.