BY THE NUMBERS - BIG Y'S GREEN INITIATIVE
At Big Y, beyond providing great quality, great prices and great customer service, we also try to be smart about the resources we use, how much energy we consume and how we handle whatever waste we create. While we've always been mindful, over the past few years we've made a massive company-wide effort to be as earth-friendly as we can. Over the past three years we've reduced our total consumption by more than 5,000,000 kWh!"
WE DRY SMARTER
Thank you for utilizing our Energy Efficient Hand Dryers instead of paper towels. By eliminating 1 ton of paper towels:
- 17 Fully Grown Trees are Saved
- 3 Cubic Yards of Landfill Space is Reduced
- 20 Thousand Gallons of Water Remain Unpolluted
ECO-FRIENDLY CHICKEN BAGS
- Your Rotisserie Chicken is now packaged in an eco-responsible bag that is both convenient and better for the environment.
- It uses 66% less plastic, which means less trash in our landfills.
- It's slim lightweight design is more compact to ship, which means less fuel and less greenhouse gas emissions.
We recycle so it doesn't end up in landfills.
- 450 tons of plastic bags and wrappings
- 15,483 tons of cardboard and paper
- 150 million customer bottles and cans thru Tomra
- Bottle/can collection in Cafe and break rooms
- Rigid plastic recycling
- Single stream recycling
- American Flags
All of our stores in Massachusetts and Connecticut divert food from landfills.
- Salvageable food donated to Food Banks and local soup kitchens
- 5,000 tons of food waste is composted annually or used as animal feed
We’ve installed solar photovoltaic systems at the Big Y Support Center, and our stores in Stafford Springs, CT and Franklin, Lee, and Southwick, MA. We now have more than 4.0 MW of solar energy offsetting our electrical consumption. To date, those solar arrays have generated over 13,850,000 kWh of clean energy.
Our Northampton, Westfield, Lee, Franklin, Cheshire, Old Saybrook, Greenfield, Walpole, Westfield Shops, Shelton, Store Support Center, Marlborough locations offer free charging stations for our customers who drive electric vehicles.
WE COOL SMARTER
All of our coolers and freezers have been made more energy efficient. How?
- Most are lit by energy-efficient LEDs
- All of our stores now use Electronically
Commutated Motors in their coolers and freezers, which use 50% less energy than traditional motors
Across all of our stores, we employ many different energy-saving measures. How efficient are we? Each new store saves more than: 800,000 kWh every year.
That is the equivalent of:
• 1,310 barrels of oil consumed
• the annual electrical usage of 98 homes
• 120 cars taken off the road for one year
Several ways this is accomplished is:
• LED lighting
• Doors on dairy cases
• Night curtains on open cases
• Hybrid condensers
• High efficiency refrigeration systems
• High efficiency roof top units (RTUs) for air conditioning stores
• Building management systems to optimize energy usage