Prep Time: 15 Minutes
March/April 2021 Big Y Dig In Magazine Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water and thyme sprigs; bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves.
4. Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes or until room temperature.
5. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and strain mixture through a fine sieve. Syrup may be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
6. Working with one cucumber half, make 3 thin slices, but do not cut all the way through. On the fourth slice, cut all the way through.
7. Fan slices out slightly and fold the second and third slices inward to form a heart.
8. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway-full with ice. Add gin, lemon liqueur, 1 ounce thyme syrup and lime juice. Shake to combine flavors; strain into a glass and add tonic and ice.
9. Serve garnished with cucumber hearts, reserved thyme sprigs and peppercorns.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!