Watch this recipe being prepared
This easy-to-make beef dish has enough zing to stand on its own as an entree. It also makes fantastic sandwiches and tacos. Even better, you can follow the same recipe using pork butt and swap salsa for the diced tomatoes for another great dish!
2022 Chef Mary Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and running water.
2. Rub roast with salt and pepper. Wash hands after handling raw meat.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil until it shimmers. Carefully place roast in pan and turn with tongs to brown meat on all sides, being careful when turning to avoid oil splatters. Note: This will take about 5 minutes per side.
4. Remove roast from pan and place in slow cooker. Add tomatoes, peppers with the brine and brown sugar to slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on low.
5. Cook for 6 to 8 hours, until meat is very tender, can be shredded with a fork and has reached an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer. Note: The roast will reach a much higher temperature than 145 degrees in order to break apart easily into chunks.
6. Pull roast apart into chunks and serve with cooking juices and peppers, if desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!