Recipe featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter #53 (dated 5/22/14-7/16/14).
Recipe from Smart Chicken. For more summertime recipes, visit their website.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Preheat grill to high heat.
4. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil, red onion and habañero pepper. Cook until onions are soft and slightly caramelized, about 4 minutes.
5. Add vegetable juice, vinegar, honey and brown sugar. Let mixture reduce over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes.
6. Stir in strawberries and remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool. Add cooled sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
7. Toss chicken wings with olive oil, salt and pepper. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
8. Grill wings until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit with an instant read thermometer, about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through.
9. Remove wings from the grill and toss with 1/4 cup Strawberry Habañero BBQ Sauce. Use remaining sauce for dipping or refrigerate in an airtight container and use within 1 to 2 days.
10. Garnish chicken wings with bleu cheese crumbles and toasted almonds.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts per Serving:
13 g fat
3 g saturated fat
46 mg cholesterol
293 mg sodium
6 g carbohydrates
1 g fiber
13 g protein