Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Time: Cook 13 Minutes, Chill 4 Hours
August 2022 Dig In Recipe
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water.
- Cut 1 1/2 pounds strawberries into chunks; place in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until strawberries are very soft.
- Remove 1/2 cup and set aside. Mash remaining strawberries in saucepan with a potato masher or spoon; return to medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine water and corn starch; mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisk into strawberry mixture and bring to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat, stir in reserved 1/2 cup mixture and let cool to room temperature.
- Slice remaining 1/2 cup strawberries; set aside.
- Place a metal mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes. In the cold mixing bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, whip cream, powdered sugar and extracts until stiff peaks form.
- Place cookies in a large resealable plastic bag and tap with the back of a spoon to break into small chunks.
- Layer eight, 5-ounce decorative dessert jars, or glasses, with shortbread cookies, whipped topping, strawberry filling and whipped topping, gently tapping down container as you fill to remove air pockets.
- Top with sliced strawberries, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight, before serving.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Total Fat: 19g
Saturated Fat: 10g
Total Carbohydrates: 39g
Dietary Fiber: 3g