Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
3. Rinse fresh produce.
4. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, celery and carrots and sauté for 10 minutes or until very soft.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low, add flour and stir constantly for 2 minutes with a whisk. Note: Although mixture will bubble as it cooks, do not let flour stick to pan or turn brown. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
6. Slowly add chicken broth, a little at a time, stirring until mixture is smooth. Add milk and continue to stir.
7. Add liquid smoke, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
8. Remove from heat, pour into a large bowl add 3 cups of the shredded cheddar cheese and pepper and stir until cheese is melted.
9. Using an immersion blender, carefully puree until smooth; return pot to heat. Let cook at a low boil for 5 minutes so flavors blend.
10. Serve immediately or keep warm over very low heat. Garnish with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Calories: 468 (Calories from Fat: 315)
Total Fat: 35g (Saturated Fat: 21g)
Total Carbohydrates: 21g (Dietary Fiber: 1g