- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse all fresh produce.
- Place beef strips in a medium bowl. Sprinkle baking soda over top and toss to coat evenly. Wash hands after handling raw beef.
- Cover and refrigerate for 35 minutes.
- Rinse beef well with water, making sure to rinse all baking soda off. Blot dry with paper towels. Wash sink, nearby counter surfaces and hands after handling raw beef.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, soy sauce, sherry, corn starch and sugar; stir and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add beef and stir-fry for 1 minute or just until no longer pink on the outside. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to skillet and heat until very hot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, chili peppers and orange zest and stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add broccoli and broth, cover and steam, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until broth has evaporated and broccoli sizzles.
- Add bell pepper and carrots and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Stir in reserved orange sauce, bring to a boil, stirring. Cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add green onion and the reserved beef and toss to coat with sauce.
- Cook until internal temperature of beef reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer, about 2 minutes; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over barley.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 576, Total Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 75mg, Sodium: 941mg, Total Carbohydrates: 54g, Dietary Fiber: 8g, Sugars: 11g, Protein: 47g