- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse all fresh produce.
- Place bread cubes in a very large bowl; set aside.
- Coat a large, deep skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until internal temperature of sausage reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 6 minutes. Drain and add to bread cubes.
- Coat same skillet with additional cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add mirepoix mix and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add chicken broth, salt and pepper and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add to bread cubes, mixing well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon stuffing mixture into a greased large casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Tip: The best dressing is made with day-old, stale bread. If you don't have a whole day to devote to letting your bread sit out, you can place the bread cubes on a baking sheet and dry them out in a 275 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, Visit fightbac.org
Calories: 429, Total Fat: 19g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 864mg Total Carbohydrates: 48g, Dietary Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 19g