Sauteed Brussels Sprouts
This recipe was featured as a Living Well Eating Smart tip on ABC40 November 21, 2012.
Original recipe from Elise Bauer at Simply Recipes. Slight adjustments were made to recipe by the Living Well Eating Smart Wellness Team (ie: replacing butter with buttery spread, reducing the amount of buttery spread used, and removing salt and almond slivers).
To watch the video of this recipe, visit our YouTube page!
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Remove and discard any outer leaves of Brussels sprouts if they look brown or beat up.
4. Steam sprouts in a microwave safe dish in the microwave for 3 minutes or until tender. They should be almost cooked all the way through but not completely.
5. Strain sprouts. Blanch by placing in a bowl of ice water to keep their color bright green. Strain and pat dry, then cut sprouts into halves.
6. Heat buttery spread in a large saute pan on medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Add Brussels sprouts. Increase heat to medium high and cook for several more minutes, until tender and cooked through. Add pepper to taste.
8. Remove pan from the heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve and enjoy!
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!