DirectionsWash: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 18 regular-sized muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, milk, egg whites, egg, melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix well.
3. Pour batter into cupcake liners, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and firm in the center and light golden brown on top; let cool.
4. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy and color is very pale. Add powdered sugar, cream and remaining vanilla and beat on low speed until combined, scraping down sides of bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat for 5-6 minutes or until light and fluffy.
5. Evenly divide frosting into 3 separate bowls. Add food coloring to each one and mix well.
6. Place an open star tip into a piping bag. Using a spoon, add your desired amount of your first color frosting, ensuring you keep it to one side of the piping bag. Don’t push the icing all the way down into the piping tip just yet. Take your next spoon and add the same amount of your second color into the piping bag, touching the first color but still leaving an even amount of space for the final color. Add your third color, trying to keep the colors fairly even and level in the bag. You will end up with 3 stripes of frosting in the bag.
7. Lay your piping bag flat and gently push the colors together with your fingertips down toward the tip, squeezing out any air bubbles as needed. Twist the end of the piping bag to seal the frosting in, and do a “test squeeze” in a spare bowl until you see all three colors appear out the end of the piping tip at the same time. Frost cupcakes and decorated as desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition FactsNutrition Information Per Serving Calories: 373 (Calories from Fat: 189)
Total Fat: 21g (Saturated Fat: 12g)
Total Carbohydrates: 47g (Dietary Fiber: 1g