Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: Cook 3 to 3 1/2 Hours
Watch this recipe being prepared
August 2022 Dig In Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. In a heavy-bottomed, oven-safe Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until melted. Add roast and gently brown on all sides; add vegetable broth. Wash hands with soap and water after handling raw beef.
5. Remove pot from heat and season meat with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, thyme, onion powder and 1/2 tablespoon pepper; add bay leaves.
6. In a large bowl, combine carrots, parsnips and potatoes; season with salt and remaining garlic powder and pepper and toss well.
7. Arrange vegetables around roast in pot. Place pot in the oven and cook, covered, for 3 to 31/2 hours or until roast reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer, basting meat and vegetables with pan juices at 20-minute intervals.
8. Remove from oven, discard bay leaves and garnish with rosemary if desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Total Fat: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 9.00 g
Cholesterol: 121 mg
Sodium: 502 mg
Carbohydrates: 13.00 g
Fiber: 3.00 g
Sugars: 3.00 g
Protein: 34.00 g