- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse fresh produce.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Season one side of each hamburger patty with garlic salt and pepper and place in a broiler pan, seasoned side down. Wash hands after handling raw meat. Season other side of patties with garlic salt and pepper and cook until internal temperature of patties reach 160 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer, about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once melted, add onion and saute until softened and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter on each slice of rye bread. Place 4 slices, buttered side down, on an electric skillet preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread 1 tablespoon flavored mayonnaise onto the inside of each bread slice and top with a hamburger patty, caramelized onions, a slice of Swiss cheese and remaining slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Pan fry until each side is nicely browned, about 3 minutes per side.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org.
Calories: 680, Total Fat: 44g, Saturated Fat: 19g, Cholesterol: 135mg, Sodium: 700mg, Carbohydrates: 36g, Fiber: 4g, Sugars: 5g, Protein: 35g