Recipe derived from Mutti Tomatoes, photo from Andrea Luttrell. Recipe featured in "Food in :60" Segment with Big Y dietitians Carrie Taylor and Andrea Luttrell.
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Cook pasta according to package directions and reserve 1/2 cup pasta water.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until it begins to soften, adding more oil if necessary to prevent sticking, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Lower heat to medium and add onions. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften, about 6 minutes.
4. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, 1/4 cup pasta water, salt and pepper. Cook until just heated through, about 2 minutes.
5. Add cooked pasta to sauce mixture and toss until well combined. Add remaining 1/4 cup pasta water if mixture is too thick. Adjust the seasoning.
6. Divide pasta between serving bowls. Top with crumbled ricotta salata and basil to serve.
**Recipe note: Ricotta salata is a semi-hard cheese, which can be found in the Deli's International Cheese Section, with Italian Cheese.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!