From the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter, Issue #1 (October 6th – November 6th, 2005).
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. Pierce sweet potato 5 to 6 times with a fork, wrap in a paper towel and cook in microwave for 5 to 6 minutes, rotating half way through. Quickly (and carefully) wrap in aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
4. Remove potato from microwave, unwrap and cool to room temperature. Remove peel by hand and place potato into a bowl. Wash hands with soap and water.
5. Add vanilla extract, sweetener or cane sugar, brown sugar and milk to potato. Mash mixture with fork until all ingredients are combined and smooth in consistency.
6. Cool in refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, crumble graham crackers in a small plastic sandwich bag and empty contents into a small bowl. Add yogurt to graham cracker crumble and mix until smooth.
8. Place graham cracker mixture into bottom of small glasses or pudding cups. Press mixture down to form crust and set aside.
9. Remove sweet potato mixture from refrigerator, Fold in banana slices and 1 tablespoon whipped topping.
10. Place sweet potato mixture on top of graham cracker crusts and top with remaining tablespoon whipped topping.
11. Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Recipe from Chef Jessica Williams at UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program.