- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast and sugar. Add warm water and stir. Let stand until yeast is dissolved and frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Once frothy, whisk in oil, yogurt and egg until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup flour with salt. Add yeast mixture and stir until well combined. Continue adding flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until you can no longer stir it with a spoon, about 1 to 1 1/2 cups total.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 minutes, adding small amounts of flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. Avoid adding excess flour as you knead, as this can make the dough too dry and stiff.
- Transfer dough to a bowl, loosely cover and let it rise until it doubles in size, about 1 hour. Wash hands after handling raw dough.
- Punch down dough. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about size of a golf ball. Roll each ball out until they are about 1/4 inch thick or approximately 6 inches in diameter. Wash hands after handling raw dough.
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Brush one side of rolled out dough with melted butter. Add to skillet, butter side down. Cook until puffy and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Brush uncooked side with melted butter and flip. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 167, Total Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 329mg, Carbohydrates: 28g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 5g