Mom's Best Scones
Recipe featured on Western MA News Segment 5/5/16 with Andrea Luttrell, RDN, LDN.
Recipe derived from King Arthur Flour. Watch the recipe video here.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt.
4. Cut the chilled butter into small pieces and blend quickly and lightly into the flour mixture, using a pastry cutter or your fingertips. Wash hands after handling raw flour.
5. Stir in baking chips or dried fruit and sugar.
6. Separate the egg and place the yolk in a liquid measuring cup. Reserve the egg white for brushing on top of scones. Wash hands after handling raw egg.
7. Add the full yogurt container to the measuring cup and just enough milk to bring the mixture to 1 cup. This may require slightly more or less than 1/2 cup milk. Whisk mixture together.
8. Lightly stir the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients until just mixed.
9. Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured surface. Form into two rounds and cut each round into eight equal pieces.
10. Beat the egg white lightly and brush it over the scones. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. Wash hands after handling raw dough and egg.
11. Place on baking sheet and bake 15 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!