Recipe featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter (dated 11/21/13-1/15/14).
Eating Smart Tip: As a trade-up substitution to this Whipped Topping, simply whip Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla Greek Yogurt with a small amount of your favorite sweetener until light and fluffy.
Recipe provided by Driscoll's. Visit their website for more holiday recipes.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Position racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking pads.
4. To prepare meringues, grind almonds and 1/3 cup confectioners sugar in a food processor until almonds are finely ground into a powder.
5. Beat egg whites and cream of tarter with an electric mixer on low speed until egg whites are foamy. Wash hands after handling raw eggs.
6. Add almond extract and increase speed to high. Beat until egg whites form soft peaks.
7. Still beating, add 2/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the egg whites are shiny and firm.
8. Using a large rubber spatula, fold in ground almond mixture until just incorporated.
9. Drop meringue mixture in 8 mounds on lined baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Using the back of a large, wet spoon, spread each mound into a 3-inch round and make an indentation in the center to form a shell. Wash hands after handling raw eggs.
10. Bake until meringues are crisp and pale beige and can be easily lifted off the paper, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
11. Let cool 10 minutes then carefully peel the meringues from the paper.
12. Combine berries, 2 tablespoons sugar and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
13. Whip cream, 1 tablespoon confectioners sugar and vanilla in a medium chilled bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
14. To serve, place a meringue on each plate. Fill each meringue with a large dollop of whipped cream and top with berries and their juices. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired, and serve.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 36 mg
Carbohydrates 27 g
Fiber 2 g
Protein 4 g