1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Soak bean mix overnight in cool water, covering the bean mix by 2 to 3 inches. The next day, drain and rinse the bean mix well.
4. In a large stockpot, cover the bean mix with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally while cooking. Once cooked, drain and rinse well.
5. Once bean mix is done, heat oil in a large 4-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and sauté until slightly soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
6. Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and beans to the vegetables. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!