Recipe featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter (dated 1/17-3/27/13).
Recipe provided by Smart Chicken. Visit their website for more delicious meal ideas.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. In a bowl, mix buttery spread with garlic, herbs, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Pat chicken dry and stuff with half the onion and half the lemon wedges.
6. Tie chicken legs together using kitchen twine.
7. Rub entire chicken with herbed spread mixture. Carefully loosen skin from the chicken breasts and rub herbed spread under the skin.
8. Set chicken in a roasting pan breast side up. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
9. Pour chicken stock in the pan. Add remaining onion and lemon to the bottom of the pan.
10. Place chicken in oven and roast for about 90 minutes, basting every 20 minutes with pan juices, until the chicken is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast (avoiding bone) registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
12. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes, then serve warm with pan juices poured over top of chicken.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 4.5 g
Cholesterol 65 mg
Sodium 473 mg
Carbohydrates 0 g
Fiber 0 g
Protein 23 g