July August 2021 Big Y Dig In Magazine Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. If the manufacturer of your jars and lids instructs you to, heat the jars in a water bath, and lids in a separate container of hot water. For Ball and Kerr products, wash your jars and lids with hot, soapy water just before filling and rinse and dry well. Alternatively, run the jars (but not the lids) through a cycle in the dishwasher.
4. Cut ends off cucumbers and cut into spears.
5. In a medium saucepan combine water, vinegar and dill pickle mix; heat to a boil.
6. Pack spears into hot jars. Ladle hot pickling liquid over spears, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims. Center lids on jars and apply bands; adjust to fingertip tight.
7. Process filled jars in boiling water canner for 15 minutes. Remove jars and let cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours, as they should not flex up or down when the center is pressed. For best flavor, allow pickles to stand for 4 to 6 weeks.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!