What says October more than pumpkin? Thankfully for us, this vegetable not only tastes great, it’s also a rich source of nutrition. A ½-cup serving of canned pumpkin provides 5 grams fiber, 300% the Daily Value for vitamin A and a source of the antioxidant beta-carotene. Recipe derived from Libby’s® For an easy and fun recipe to make for little ones (or grown-ups!), this simple muffin recipe can’t be beat. It’s also a great recipe to use to get your kids involved in baking. Have them line the muffin cups, add ingredients or assist with mixing and use the time as an opportunity to share the health benefits of pumpkin as a family.
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 18 muffin cups with paper baking liners.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Combine eggs and sugar in a large bowl then add pumpkin and oil. Mix well.
4. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and bake 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes then remove muffins from pans.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!