July August 2021 Big Y Dig In Magazine Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. If the manufacturer of your jars and lids instructs you to, heat the jars in a water bath and the lids in a separate container of hot water. For Ball and Kerr products, wash your jars and lids with hot, soapy water just before filling and rinse and dry well. Alternatively, run the jars (but not the lids) through a cycle in the dishwasher.
4. In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine 1 cup tomato purée, onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. While maintaining a steady boil, add remaining tomato purée, 1 cup at a time, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes. Increase heat to high and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced by one third.
5. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims. Center lid on jar, apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
6. Process filled jars in boiling water canner for 35 minutes. Remove jars and let cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours, as they should not flex up or down when the center is pressed.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!