Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: Rise 2 hours, bake 30 minutes
April/May 2019 Dig In Recipes
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine apple juice and dried fruit. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute to plump fruit; set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. In a large electric mixer bowl, combine yeast and warm water and stir until yeast dissolves; let sit for 5 minutes.
4. In another medium microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup milk, butter, sugar and salt; microwave on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes. Stir until everything is melted; let cool.
5. Once cool, whisk in egg and pour into bowl with yeast. Wash hands after handling raw egg.
6. Mix, using an electric mixer with dough hook on medium-high speed until all the ingredients are combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour and spices and mix until it forms a soft, elastic dough. Add fruit and liquid and mix on the lowest speed until just incorporated.
7. Place dough in a large bowl that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
8. Gently deflate dough with hands and turn onto a floured surface. Spread with hands into a 10x13-inch rectangle, flipping once to coat in flour.
9. Coat a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside. Cut dough into 12 pieces with a sharp knife. Roll each piece into a ball and place them in prepared pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Wash hands after handling raw dough.
10. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
11. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and 1 tablespoon milk; brush over tops of buns. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown; remove from oven and let cool. Wash hands after handling raw egg.
12. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and 6 teaspoons milk to form an icing. When the buns are completely cool, pipe icing in a cross shape atop each bun.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving Calories: 326 (Calories from Fat: 81)
Total Fat: 9g (Saturated Fat: 5g)
Total Carbohydrates: 57g (Dietary Fiber: 1g