Hot Cross Buns
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine apple juice and dried fruit. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 1 minute to plump fruit; set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. In a large electric mixer bowl, combine yeast and warm water and stir until yeast dissolves; let sit for 5 minutes.
3. In another medium microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup milk, butter, sugar and salt; microwave on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes. Stir until everything is melted; let cool.
4. Once cool, whisk in egg and pour into bowl with yeast. Mix, using an electric mixer with dough hook on medium-high speed until all the ingredients are combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add flour and spices and mix until it forms a soft, elastic dough. Add fruit and liquid and mix on the lowest speed until just incorporated.
5. Place dough in a large bowl that has been coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
6. Gently deflate dough with hands and turn onto a floured surface. Spread with hands into a 10x13-inch rectangle, flipping once to coat in flour.
7. Coat a 9x13-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside. Cut dough into 12 pieces with a sharp knife. Roll each piece into a ball and place them in prepared pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
8. Preheat oven to 375F.
9. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and 1 tablespoon milk; brush over tops of buns. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown; remove from oven and let cool.
10. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and 6 teaspoons milk to form an icing. When the buns are completely cool, pipe icing in a cross shape atop each bun.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition FactsNutrition Information Per Serving Calories: 326 (Calories from Fat: 81)
Total Fat: 9g (Saturated Fat: 5g)
Total Carbohydrates: 57g (Dietary Fiber: 1g