July August 2021 Big Y Dig In Magazine Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. If the manufacturer of your jars and lids instructs you to, heat the jars in a water bath, and lids in a separate container of hot water. For Ball and Kerr products, wash your jars and lids with hot, soapy water just before filling and rinse and dry well. Alternatively, run the jars (but not the lids) through a cycle in the dishwasher.
4. Wash, peel and pit peaches. Leave peaches in halves or cut into slices, if desired. Place in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice.
5. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, water and honey; cook until sugar dissolves. Add peaches, one layer at a time, and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Pack hot peaches into jars. Add ½ teaspoon allspice, ¼ teaspoon cloves and 1 stick cinnamon to each jar.
7. Ladle hot syrup over peaches leaving, ½-inch headspace; remove air bubbles and wipe rims. Center hot lids on jars and apply bands; adjust until fit is fingertip tight.
8. Process filled jars in boiling water canner for 25 minutes. Remove jars and let cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours, as they should not flex up or down when the center is pressed.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!