Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Mix
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Grind oats in a food processor until they're finely chopped — but not a powder.
2. Put flours, oats and all other dry ingredients into a mixer with a paddle attachment.
3. While mixer is running on slow speed, slowly drizzle oil into bowl to blend with dry ingredients.
4. Store in airtight container for two weeks at room temperature or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer.
1. Whisk together ingredients. NOTE: Mixture may look thin.
2. Let batter rest for at least 20 minutes. NOTE: Oats will soak up liquid and mixture will thicken.
3. Heat lightly greased griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (or medium-hot).
4. Drop batter in ¼-cupfuls to make 4-inch-diameter pancakes.
5. When edges look dry and bubbles come to surface without breaking (after about 2 minutes), flip pancakes over to other side and finish cooking for 2 minutes more.
6. Serve immediately or stack and hold in a warm oven.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts*Don't have buttermilk on hand? Substitute: Buttermilk powder - Add 1/4 cup buttermilk powder to homemade mix along with egg and the addition of 1 cup water or milk
Yogurt - Replace 1 cup buttermilk with 4 ounces plain yogurt and 4 ounces milk
Dairy milk or plant-based milk - Mix 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
or lemon juice
with enough milk to measure 1 cup. Mix thoroughly and let rest for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts Per Pancake:
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 260 mg
Carbohydrates 12 g
Fiber 3 g
Protein 4 g
image and nutrition analysis from King Arthur FlourLiving Well Eating Smart Facebook page to learn more.