Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: Cook 5 Minutes
June July 2020 Dig In Magazine
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites and sugar until frothy. Whisk in butter, milk, water and vanilla. Whisk in flour and salt until fully incorporated and batter is smooth and thin, adding more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if batter is too thick.
3. Heat an 8- or 9-inch sauté pan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat and brush pan lightly with oil, reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Pour 3 1/2 tablespoons batter into the center of the pan and immediately tilt and rotate the pan so the batter forms a thin 6-inch circle.
5. Place pan back on heat and cook for 3 minutes or until batter is set and you can see that the underside and edges are golden brown. Slip a metal spatula under, gently flip it over and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Carefully remove from pan and, very quickly, roll from the bottom to form a cone shape (CAREFUL – CONE WILL BE VERY HOT!). Hold, seam-side down, for 1-2 minutes or until cone holds its shape. Remove pan from heat in between cones to allow to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining batter.
7. Dip tops of cones in melted chocolate and cover in sprinkles or nuts, if desired.
8. Place a dollop of melted chocolate into the inside bottom of the cone to prevent ice cream from dripping through the bottom. Place cones on wire racks and let chocolate harden.
9. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving Calories: 202 (Calories from Fat: 90)
Total Fat: 10g (Saturated Fat: 6g)
Total Carbohydrates: 27g (Dietary Fiber: 0.5g