Homemade Crab Cakes Seafood Supper Club
Directions1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Mix ingredients, except crab meat and bread cubes, together in a large bowl.
3. Fold in cubed sandwich bread.
4. Carefully break up crab meat into the mixture and gently combine ingredients together, so as to not break up crab chunks. Chill mixture for at least 1 hour.
5. Portion crab mixture into six, 4-ounce patties. If baking, mold into “muffin top” shapes. If pan frying, mold into a “patty” shape.
6. Place cakes on plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours before cooking or up to 1-2 days ahead of cooking. Wash hands with soap and water.
7. To oven bake: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and wash hands with soap and water. Spray sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place crab cakes on sheet pan. Optional: Brush top of cake with melted butter or spray. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
8. To pan fry: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and wash hands with soap and water. Heat a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Optional: Gently press top and bottom of cakes into panko crumbs, do not bread the sides. Add 1-2 tablespoons canola oil to coat pan. Cakes should sizzle when placed on pan. Pan-fry 1-2 minutes per side or until golden brown color is achieved. Transfer cakes to a baking sheet, or if oven friendly, place pan in oven. Finishing baking for 6-7 minutes.
Expert Tip: For Baked Crab Cake Appetizer Bites: Form about 24, 1-ounce balls of crab mix, using a heaping tablespoon as guidance for size. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450 F.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!