Directions1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl.
3. In a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Gradually stir in the flour mixture until evenly blended.
4. Gather dough into a ball and divide into two equal parts. Place one half in a bowl. Add red food coloring and mix until evenly blended. Add additional drops of food coloring to make the desired shade of red. Place 1 dough piece on a large cutting board covered in plastic wrap. Place a sheet of wax paper over top of dough and roll out to make a 12x9-inch rectangle; repeat with remaining dough. Place both doughs in the refrigerator and let chill for 1 hour or until firm.
5. Place the plain dough, plastic wrap-side down, on the counter; remove wax paper from the top. Take the red dough rectangle, remove wax paper and place it over top of the other dough rectangle; remove plastic wrap from colored dough. Using the plastic wrap under the regular dough rectangle, roll dough tightly into a log.
6. Place nonpareils on a baking sheet; roll dough log around it until the outside is completely coated. Wrap in plastic wrap and let chill for at least 2 hours.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut dough log into ¼-inch slices and place them on baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition FactsNutrition Information Per Serving Calories: 133 (Calories from Fat: 45)
Total Fat: 5g (Saturated Fat: 3g)
Total Carbohydrates: 21g (Dietary Fiber: 0g