Recipe featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter #55 (dated 9/25/14-11/19/14)
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Meanwhile, steam squash until very tender, about 8 to 12 minutes.
3. Mash about half the squash in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook macaroni 2 minutes less than package instructions. Drain and set aside.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often until softened and starting to brown, 1 to 3 minutes.
6. Add 2 cups milk and bring to a simmer.
7. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup milk, flour, mustard, rosemary, white pepper and salt until smooth.
8. Whisk the flour mixture into the simmering milk, whisking constantly. Continue to cook just until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat.
9. Whisk the cheese into the thickened milk mixture until melted. And the mashed squash and whisk until combined. Stir in the macaroni and remaining squash then transfer to prepared casserole dish.
10. Mix breadcrumbs with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add paprika and stir until evenly moist and bright orange. Sprinkle over macaroni.
11. Bake until bubbling hot and browned on top, about 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, Visit fightbac.org
Nutrition FactsRecipe and image courtesy of the Farm Families who own Cabot Cooperative. For more delicious recipes
visit their websiteNutrition Facts Per Serving:
8 g fat
4 g saturated fat
22 mg cholesterol
290 mg sodium
33 g carbohydrates
3 g fiber
12 g protein