- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse fresh produce.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine fish stock, onion, celery and carrot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let the stock simmer.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine saffron and hot water.
- Place fish in a food processor and chop by pulsing, adding ice water through the feed tube. Wash hands after handling raw fish.
- Add salt, pepper, hot sauce, lemon juice, sugar, sauteed onion and egg; blend well. Stir in matzo meal and saffron in water.
- Shape mixture into 8 oblong patties, about 2 ounces each. Wash hands after handling raw fish.
- Gently drop patties, one at a time, into hot fish stock. Cover and cook until patties are firm, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fish patties to a plate and let cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- To serve, arrange each gefilte patty on a lettuce leaf and garnish with carrot curls, celery, horseradish and lemon slices.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 107, Total Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 57mg, Sodium: 326mg, Carbohydrates: 3g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 12g