Crunchy Apple Muffins
Recipe featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter #52 (dated 3/27/14-5/21/14).
Recipe derived from Taste of Home®. For other apple-inspired recipes, visit Rainier Fruit Company.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin with 12 baking cups.
4. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt.
5. In another bowl, beat together egg, 1/2 cup milk and butter.
6. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Fold in apples.
7. Scoop mixture into prepared baking cups, filling about 2/3 full. Wash hands after handling raw batter.
8. For topping, combine granola, walnuts, brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 teaspoons milk. Sprinkle evenly over muffins.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Cool for 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts Per Muffin:
3.5 g fat
1 g saturated fat
20 mg cholesterol
160 mg sodium
22 g carbohydrates
2 g fiber
4 g protein