1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. To make one large loaf, use a 10- to 12-inch cast iron pan or oven-safe skillet with at least 2-inch tall sides. To make two loaves, use two smaller cast iron skillets, oven-safe pans, or two cake pans.
5. Cut a big enough circle of parchment paper to line both the bottom and sides of pan(s).
6. Whisk first five ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
7. Add in butter, cranberries, lime zest, lime juice, buttermilk, heavy cream and egg to dry ingredients and stir until incorporated. Do not over mix. Wash hands after handling raw egg.
8. Scrape mixture into pan(s); then make a shallow x with a sharp knife in the center of the dough.
9. Cook 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out dry or with moist crumbs, but not wet batter. For smaller loaves, check after 45 minutes.
10. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then flip out of the pan(s). Peel off parchment paper and allow bread to cool on a cooling rack.
11. To enjoy for days after made, wrap tightly in wax paper, plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Simply pop a slice in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds to warm.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts Per Slice:
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 240 mg
Carbohydrates 44 g
Fiber 4 g
Protein 6 g