DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Place lamb shanks in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. In a small bowl, combine salt, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, mustard and pepper to taste. Evenly rub spice mixture into both sides of each lamb shank; allow them to rest for 20 minutes.
3. In a blender, add tomatoes with juice, water, chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, garlic and salt and pepper to taste. Blend for 2 minutes or until pureed; adjust seasonings as needed; pour into bottom of a 6-quart instant pot.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add 2 lamb shanks and sear for 6 minutes per side; place on top of sauce in instant pot and repeat with remaining shanks. Place lid on pot and manually set it for 45 minutes on “high pressure.” When lamb shanks have finished cooking, allow pot to naturally release for 15 minutes. Open the steam valve to release the remaining steam then remove the lid and transfer the lamb shanks to a serving plate and cover with foil.
5. Place a tablespoon of sauce in a small bowl and add cornstarch; mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Add mixture back into pot, turn the setting to sauté and allow the sauce to cook for 12 minutes or until thickened.
6. Place lamb shanks on a serving platter and top with sauce, onion and cilantro.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 590 (Calories from Fat: 306)
Total Fat: 34g (Saturated Fat: 15g)
Total Carbohydrates: 10g (Dietary Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 4g)