There’s something to be said about homemade chicken soup soothing an achy body and sore throat. Chock-full of hydration, vegetables, whole grains and high-quality lean protein, the classic Chicken Noodle Soup recipe featured below made with Big Y Air-Chilled Whole Chicken will be a fast family favorite. Featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter issue #68 (November 17th, 2016 to January 11th, 2017).
Recipe and image provided by Smart Chicken®. For more delicious whole chicken recipes visit their website.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Place chicken in stock pot. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
4. Once simmering, skim foam from top of water, frequently, for about 15 minutes.
5. Add carrots, celery, onion, leeks, shallot, bay leaves, white pepper, cloves and peppercorns. Simmer for 2 to 4 hours.
6. Remove chicken and let cool slightly before removing bones. Once deboned, return meat to soup.
7. Adjust seasoning with white vinegar, salt and white pepper.
8. Add parsley and noodles. Cook until noodles are tender.
9. Remove bay leaves, cloves, and peppercorns. Serve in bowls and top with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 559 mg
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fiber 5 g
Protein 24 g