Recipe featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter #57 (dated 1/15/15 - 3/25/15)
Recipe from Smart Chicken. For more recipes, visit their website.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Toss chicken in salt, pepper and garam masala.
4. Heat olive oil in a stew pot over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Work in batches to get a nice golden brown color but do not cook through. Set chicken aside. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
5. Add onion, garlic and jalapeños to pot and sauté until just soft. Add tomato puree and cook briefly.
6. Add chicken back to pot, along with apples and sweet potatoes. Pour in stock, cover pot and bring to a simmer.
7. Uncover pot and cook gently for 2 hours or until vegetables are cooked, sauce is thickened to stew consistency and chicken is very tender.
8. Remove chicken from pot and shred into bite-size pieces, then return to stew. Add Swiss chard to pot and simmer until tender.
9. To serve, drizzle with olive oil and scallions and pair with steamed brown rice or toasted crusty whole grain bread.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!