What food will provide an abundance of protein, fiber and starch for minimal cost? Hint: Most Americans forget to incorporate them into meals on a regular basis, but these nutritional powerhouses are truly unsung heroes for health, weight management and managing food budget. The answer is pulses. Side dishes, like the salsa below from BUSH'S Beans, are an easy and tasty way to begin incorporating pulses into meals regularly. Especially during the summer months!
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. In a small bowl, combine garlic, red wine vinegar and mustard. Let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream. Set aside.
4. Place beans, corn, red pepper, chilies, red onion and cilantro in a medium bowl. Toss gently with dressing.
5. Fold in avocado and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, Visit fightbac.org
Recipe featured on Western Mass News on 7/12/16.
Check out www.bushbeans.com for an abundant of beautiful, delicious bean recipes.