Black-Eyed Pea Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
This soup includes black-eyed peas, collard greens, and pork, all ingredients meant to bring good luck for the coming year.
Original recipe modified by culinary intern Elizabeth A. Willingham
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan until just smoking.
4. Add diced tenderloin and salt and cook until pork has reached an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit as verified by an instant-read food thermometer and outside is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Wash hands after handling raw pork.
5. Remove pork from pan and set aside. Add onion, carrot and celery to the pan and cook until slightly softened, about 7 minutes.
6. Add collard greens and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
7. Add chicken broth and drained peas. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until beans are tender, about 45 minutes.
8. Add wild rice and simmer until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes. Stir in reserved pork and serve.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!