Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 52 Minutes
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. In a large pot of water over medium heat, add beets; bring to a boil. Let boil for 40 minutes or until tender; drain and let cool. Once cool, peel off skins and cut into thin wedges.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add walnuts and cook for 3 minutes or until they begin to brown; remove from pan and let cool.
5. Place in a food processor and process until a paste forms; add lemon juice, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth.
6. Return skillet to medium heat and add remaining oil. Once hot, add onion and cook for 2 minutes or until tender; add beets and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Transfer to a large serving dish and add walnut mixture; toss to coat well. Serve garnished with pepitas and parsley.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, Visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 139 (Calories from Fat: 63)
Total Fat: 7g (Saturated Fat: 1g)
Total Carbohydrates: 17g (Dietary Fiber: 5g