Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours
October 2022 Dig In Recipe
Tender beef and vegetables in a savory, rich broth.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items.
3. Place 3 tablespoons flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add beef cubes and toss to coat; set aside. Wash hands after handling raw meat.
4. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add beef cubes in batches and cook for 6 minutes or until browned all over; transfer to a large bowl.
5. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened and just starting to brown. Sprinkle with remaining flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
6. Add wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook for 3 minutes or until mixture has slightly thickened.
7. Return meat and any accumulated juices in bowl to the pot. Add tomatoes, broth, bay leaves and thyme and stir to combine.
8. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, and cook for 1 hour.
9. Add carrots and potatoes, cover and cook for an additional hour or until vegetables are tender and internal temperature of meat reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer.
10. Remove and discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Total Fat: 21 g
Saturated Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 565 mg
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 20 g