Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
DirectionsNote: Wash hands with soap and water.
1. Rinse all fresh produce under cold running water and pat dry prior to prepping.
2. Place 3 tablespoons flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add beef cubes and toss to coat, set aside.
3. In a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add beef cubes in batches and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add onion and garlic to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened and just starting to brown. Sprinkle with remaining flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add wine, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot and cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly. Return the meat and any accumulated juices in the bowl to the pot. Add tomatoes, broth, bay leaves and thyme and stir to combine. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour. Add carrots and potatoes, cover and cook for 1 hour or until the vegetables and meat are knife tender.
5. Remove and discard bay leaves and thyme stems. Stir in peas and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!