Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
September 2022 Big Y Dig In Magazine Recipe
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce items under cold running water prior to prepping.
3. In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring broth to a boil. Add barley and a pinch of salt. Stir, cover, reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until barley is tender. Add more broth if the pan becomes dry before the barley has finished cooking; check every 5 minutes until desired chewiness is reached; let cool.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, orange juice, cilantro, jalapeno and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
5. Divide and layer the salad ingredients evenly between 4 quart-sized wide mouth Mason jars in this order: dressing, cucumber, barley, peas, tomatoes, corn and salad greens. Seal and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Total Fat: 15g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Carbohydrates: 59g
Dietary Fiber: 14g
Total Sugars: 10g)