Make whole grains, like oats, the base of your holiday season treats like the Awesome Oatmeal Cookie recipe from Quaker Oats. Why oats? 100% whole grain and rich in fiber, protein and nutrients such as iron, oats are a win for heart health and satiety. Featured in the Living Well Eating Smart newsletter issue #68 (November 17th, 2016 to January 11th, 2017).
Recipe provided by Quaker®. For more whole grain inspirations visit their website.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, egg, oil, applesauce and vanilla until combined with an electric mixer on medium speed.
4. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and add to wet ingredients; beat on low speed just until blended.
5. Stir in oats and mix-ins.
6. Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
7. Bake 9 to 10 minutes, or until light brown. (Do not overbake. Centers will appear soft.)
8. Cool 1 to 2 minutes on cookie sheets; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Facts Per Cookie*:
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 70 mg
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fiber 1 g
Protein 1 g
*Analysis conducted including 3/4 cup raisins in recipe.