Recipe from 2023 Stir-It-Up Springfield Recipe Competition Participant Ashanty, a junior at Central High School who aspires to be a chef. Recipe image from Jacqui Campbell, MS, RD, CDN, LDN be well™ with Big Y Consulting Dietitian
1. Wash hands with soap and water
2. Rinse fresh produce.
3. Prepare hot sauce by combining hot sauce, lime, and chili lime seasoning. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
5. Spread garbanzo beans on a clean kitchen towel, pat dry and remove any loose skins.
6. Transfer dry garbanzo beans to baking sheet, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roast in oven until golden brown and crisp, about 20 to 30 minutes.
7. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and add to a bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon soy sauce, toss to coat, then add 2 tablespoons cornstarch and gentle stir to coat.
8. Transfer tofu to other baking sheet, spreading out evenly. Roast in oven until edges start to brown, 20 to 30 minutes, flipping half way.
9. Add rice and water to a medium pot. Over medium-high heat, bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 16 to 18 minutes.
10. While the rice is cooking, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 1/4 cup rice vinegar, sugar and salt together to a simmer. Once simmering, remove from heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
11. Once rice is done cooking, transfer to a large bowl and drizzle with vinegar mixture and gently fold rice until vinegar is completely mixed in. Cover and keep warm.
12. Measure out 3/4 cup juice and 1/2 cup pineapple chunks from canned pineapple. Cover and store remainder for another meal.
13. In a small bowl, whisk together pineapple juice, 1/4 cup soy sauce, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons vinegar, ginger and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
14. In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add sesame oil and saute garlic until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pineapple juice mixture and heat to a simmer. Once sauce starts to thicken, remove from heat, add tofu and pineapple chunks and toss to coat. If sauce gets too thick, thin with water.
15. Using a vegetable peeler carefully slice the carrots lengthwise into long, thin ribbons.
16. Assemble bowls by making a bed of rice, top with tofu, garbanzo beans, carrots, cucumber, avocado, jalapeno and nori. Drizzle with hot sauce as desired.