Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: Marinate 30 minutes, Cook 32 to 37 minutes
Watch this recipe being prepared
September October 2021 Big Y Dig In Magazine Recipe
A hearty one pot meal.
1. Wash hands with soap and water.
2. Rinse all fresh produce.
3. In a small bowl, combine paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, coriander and cayenne pepper; set aside.
4. In a shallow dish, place chicken thighs in a single layer. Add 3 teaspoons spice mixture, 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice. Using your hands, turn thighs in mixture until all are covered with mixture. Wash hands after handling raw chicken.
5. Cover dish with plastic wrap and let marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
6. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add remaining olive oil. Remove chicken from marinade and place in pan; discard used marinade. Brown chicken for 5 minutes per side or until thighs begin to turn golden brown. Move to a clean plate and set aside.
7. Add rice to pan and stir for 3 minutes to lightly brown. Add onion, green pepper, cilantro, garlic and oregano. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion is softened. Add in chicken broth, tomato sauce and remaining spice mixture; stir until well mixed. Add chicken back to pan.
8. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked, liquid is absorbed and chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit as verified with an instant-read food thermometer.
9. Fluff rice with a fork. Garnish with lemon slices and additional cilantro and serve immediately.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Total Fat: 28 g
Saturated Fat: 7 g
Cholesterol: 126 mg
Sodium: 975 mg
Carbohydrates: 42 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugars: 2 g
Protein: 30 g
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more