Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cooking Time: Bake 55 Minutes, Chill 20 Minutes
November/December 2022 Dig In Recipe
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse all fresh produce.
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine apples, both sugars, flour, lemon zest and butter. Cook for 5 minutes or until butter melts and apples begin to soften.
- Remove from heat when mixture starts to bubble. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in raspberries and both extracts; let cool completely.
- Line bottom of a 9-inch pie pan with one of the pie crusts and trim so it lays about 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop fruit filling into crust; discard leftover juices in bottom of bowl.
- Using a pastry wheel, pizza cutter or knife, cut second crust into 12 strips. Make a lattice over the filling, adding strips one way and then the other. Trim excess dough from ends of strips and press where the strips meet the bottom dough to adhere.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and milk. Brush surface of dough with egg mixture and then sprinkle with sugar. Wash hands after handling raw dough and eggs.
- Refrigerate pie for 20 minutes.
- Place a baking sheet on a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Carefully add pie pan to preheated baking sheet and bake for 55 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Remove from oven and top with sliced almonds.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Serve topped with whipped cream if desired.
- Cover leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Big Y's recipes reflect the guidance of the Partnership for Food Safety Education. To learn more, visit fightbac.org!
Calories: 255, Total Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 208mg, Total Carbohydrates: 35g, Dietary Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 15g, Protein: 2g